Most Canadian youth are happy, excited, optimistic and positive—they say they think they have a good life, say it’s easy to have fun, and are most excited for their own personal growth.
The annual RBC Youth Optimism Survey polls the country’s most precious resource – it’s youth – to find out how they feel about their future.
- 81% of Canadians aged 14-25 were most excited about a surprising thing: their future careers.
- 96% want to follow their passions for work
Painful Reality Check
- By the time they’re 22-25, only 2/3 believe they will get a job in their field of choice.
The Daily Grind
- 55% of students between age 17-24 fear they’ll have to do work they’re not passionate about when they graduate.
- Youth unemployment is up and so is stress about jobs and finances.
- 61% of young people 14-25 worry about getting a job
- 67% worry about money.
Things Are Looking Up, in 10 years
- While only 35% of respondents say they’re very positive about next year, 10 years from now, 42% think 2026 will be a good year for them!
Parents Just Don’t Understand
- Kids worry, more than parents think.
- 58% of parents think their kids stress out about money.
- 54% of parents think their kids are concerned about getting a job
What can young people do to land their dream jobs?
- Be polished – Perfect resume and interview skills
- Get experience- Work co-op jobs, and internships
- Find help – Look for mentors or community programs to help out
This article is intended as general information only and is not to be relied upon as constituting legal, financial or other professional advice. A professional advisor should be consulted regarding your specific situation. Information presented is believed to be factual and up-to-date but we do not guarantee its accuracy and it should not be regarded as a complete analysis of the subjects discussed. All expressions of opinion reflect the judgment of the authors as of the date of publication and are subject to change. No endorsement of any third parties or their advice, opinions, information, products or services is expressly given or implied by Royal Bank of Canada or any of its affiliates.